An oil painting 'Old Gum Tree at Glenelg' by Jack Balitho, showing three huts adjacent to the tree.

"Old Gum Tree at Glenelg" c1838, oil paining by Jack Balitho, State Library of South Australia - B44055

The original tree was a red river gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis). Children of the first settlers played on this tree, dubbing it "Temple Bar", and fresh water was obtained from wells nearby. Early settlers including the Gougers, Everards and Thomases built tents and bush huts nearby.
In 1857 John Hector of the Savings Bank of South Australia conveyed the plot of land on which this gum tree stands to the Corporation of Glenelg. This was to commemorate the arrival of Governor Hindmarsh and subsequent reading of the proclamation nearby.
The old gum tree, Glenelg. The trunk of the bent gum tree is supported by metal braces and a flower garden has been planted underneath the arch of the tree. The spot marked the place where the Colony of South Australia was proclaimed and established as a Province by Captain John Hindmarsh. A well kept hedge has been planted around the park.

The Old Gum Tree c1936, Government Photolithographer (S.A.), State Library of South Australia - B7261

​​​​​​​In 1963 the Old Gum Tree was repaired in plastic and cement due to deterioration. Two 18 pound short-range carronades from HMS "Buffalo", the ship in which Governor Hindmarsh traveled to South Australia, stand by the fence on the western edge of the reserve.

More built heritage from the City of Holdfast Bay

Back to Top